Saturday, January 1, 2011

New year, new house?

Probably not but who knows what 2011 will hold for us? We secretly hope a new home is in our future but are realistically tallying all the factors that are working against us in this venture. Many prayers are being lifted surrounding this topic and if we are to make a change, we are awaiting clear direction. Truth be told, I think we'll be here at least through next summer when Graham graduates and most of our "unknown expenses" disappear.

It never hurts to be prepared though, so, just in case, I am creating a "New House Bucket List," a list of the features I would like in a new place. Usually I'm really indecisive and unsure about things, but in this case, I know what I want.

New House Bucket List (Kelsie)
-4+ bedrooms
-2+ full baths (one must be a master)
-a large kitchen that is open to the living area
-gas stove
-a dining room
-open floor plan/good for hosting gatherings
-sunny yard with room for a vegetable and perennial garden
-LOTS of storage
-an entry area with space (closet maybe?) to neatly store shoes, coats, future kiddos backpacks so they are not strewn about
-nearby a Trader Joes
-walkable/cute neighborhood
-a garage (preferably attached but I might be willing to give on this one)
-good school district
-preferably south of Shoreline, north of downtown Seattle on the west side or south of Bothell, north of downtown Bellevue on the eastside

Graham and my "House Bucket Lists" are quite different so this could get interesting! If I dare to say so, my list is more heavily weighted by function while Graham prefers look/aesthetics. Of course, for the most part, I LOVE the things on his list, I would just need some practical additions to make it livable for me (particularly in regards to lack of storage in older homes). I know I'm going to butcher this but here is my shot at Graham's list:

New House Bucket List (Graham)
-built before 1940ish or after 2000
-on a street with sidewalks
-detached garage with side entrance (NOT visible from the front of the house)
-within walking distance of a neighborhood coffee shop
-real hardwood floors
-dining room

Of course, we realized we can't have everything and so will likely have to compromise on some things. It never hurts to dream, as my husband always says!

2 comments:

  1. You just never know what opportunity might open up. FYI, regarding that gas stove....gas cooktop? YES! Gas oven? NO!!!! Gas ovens are definitely a challenge in getting the heat correct. Keep the dream alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my bucket list for a house too! High on my list is more than one tiny bathroom and much more storage. Our Hawaiian style plantation home, built in 1944, has very limited storage. All we have are the bedroom closets, one tiny linen closet, and an open air laundry room without any sort of shelving or storage. I am looking forward to seeing what are future home in Oceanside, CA will be like.

    ReplyDelete