Monday, February 28, 2011

Back post: Weeks 6 and 7


***The following post was written before we "went public," on ~Jan 20th. I wanted to be sure I had this stuff documented as I'm sure the baby brain will hit soon and these details will never be remembered again....

The nausea hit with full force on January 4th, one day shy of being 6 weeks pregnant. Isn't it too easy for this!? Graham was thrilled when I gave him the report of my queasy state I guess it's because it was an indicator to him that our wee one is alive and thriving. I, on the other hand, was not quite as excited about the whole bit. Man oh man, I forgot what this felt like. I must say that at least I don't have a cold this time around. I remember last time I had a really bad cold when the morning (rather, all-day) sickness hit and it was just miserable. I couldn't take anything and I felt horrible. I think I had to take at least 3 days off work which was a record for me because I feel SO GUILTY missing work. Anyway, now I want to do anything but go to work.

Random food aversions and cravings have weaseled their way in with the nausea. Just the thought of coffee makes me almost lose it immediately. Oh and so do kidney beans or anything chili-like. All I want is toast with butter and garlic salt, salty chips, plain pasta with grated Parmesan, honey nut cheerios, satsumas and string cheese. I had a homemade yogurt parfait with berries and granola that really hit the spot the other day too. And thankfully ice cream still settles just fine in my belly. Oh and then there's the lemon water. Ice cold lemon water. I think I've drank the equivalent of 6 lemons in the past week alone. I like it super tart, super cold, excruciatingly lemony. This morning I woke up at 4 AM feeling quite icky, tossing and turning with no chance of falling back asleep. I got up, had a couple swigs of lemon water and I was back asleep in minutes. Who knew!? Just please don't tell my dentist. I'm sure consuming lemons at this rate is doing horrible things to my teeth. Then today, I indulged in root beer. Me drinking pop? Gasp! But it was so delicious and took the nausea right away. I told Graham this is "Crap Week" because I'm only eating crap. I know things will normalize soon and I am managing to squeeze a few "good for me" things in there. Like lemons for instance!

I had my first doctor appointment on January 10th. It was total de-ja-vu because they had me re-initial and re-date some releases that I'd signed during my first visit when I was pregnant with Isla. So weird. They were all dated January 9th, 2009, exactly 2 years and 1 day earlier. Dr H. said that we certainly are predictable! He confirmed that I'm not quite as far along as we'd initially thought which means my due date has been bumped out to August 31st, 2011 (6 days after Isla's 2nd birthday). He opted not to do any sort of examination "down there" since I just finally stopped bleeding. Hooray! I stopped bleeding! I spent almost a good week doing my best to lay low and rest and be off my feet. I'd like to think that's what did it since it was pure torture for me but maybe my hormones just finally reached a high enough level to make it stop. Anyway, he did an ultrasound using the lower-tech office machines. It took him a long while to find the baby which got my heart racing a little. I guess my uterus is just "turned up" which made it harder to locate but he found the wee speck of a baby and I even got to see the little heartbeat flashing on the screen! He gave me my first baby "picture" to take home to Graham. Woohoo! This is for real! Dr H. said I'm about 75% "in the clear" as far as miscarriage risk goes. It'll take me getting to 10 weeks for him to feel 100% confident so we're getting close!

No comments:

Post a Comment