Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Crazy curls

Isla had her 18-month well check up yesterday and can I just say that I left feeling exhilarated? Is that weird? There is something so affirming about hearing that your child is healthy and that you are doing a good job. She weighed in at 23 pounds, 11 ounces (almost the 50%ile), her height was 31 inches (~50%) and her head measured 18 1/2 inches (50-75%ile). Her weight trend on the growth chart has definitely been climbing the last few appointments (formerly the 10%) which makes sense since she is now actually fitting into 18 month clothes when she hits 18 months, sometimes even earlier. Last visit she cried when they did her length and head measurements (I think she's finally associating the doctor's office with shots) but this time she did great! I'd been practicing measuring her at home with my sewing measuring tape just to get her used to it so I think that helped.

I was so proud of her! She interacted and talked to all the nurses and our doctor and didn't even cry when she got her shot. Our doctor gave her Minnie Mouse stamps on her hands after the check up with Isla LOVED. She thought the bandaid on her leg was pretty cool too. I love her doctor! 

 
I did a thorough check up of Isla's mouth before we left for the appointment because I didn't want to be "that mom" who totally misses that her child has cut a tooth. Of course, sure enough, the doctor found her first molar (right upper) in there which, you guessed it, I totally missed! Give me a little grace though! Who gets their molars before their front teeth?!? Apparently the front top ones have "a ways to go" so it looks like Isla will be sporting the fangs for a while. But, now that she has teeth, we get to make our first dentist appointment! Too bad she somehow didn't get added to our dental plan during open enrollment in November. Oops. Not sure what we're going to do about that one...
Our doctor gave us the go-ahead to introduce both peanut butter and shellfish--woohoo! I wasted no time and fed her African Chicken and Groundnut Stew tonight with peanut butter and she survived! This news is quite timely as we were planning to declare next week "Fast Food Week" and prepare a bunch of healthier renditions of some of the most popular fast food items, courtesy of my latest Cooking Light magazine. One of the dishes includes shrimp and peanuts so now we can actually make it and eat it as a family!

In lieu of the upcoming arrival of a little sibling, we have opted to begin "Mission: de-binky" but not until next week. Pray for us! Graham thinks it'll go fine and it probably will but I'm still dreading it.

Apparently it's already time to start orienting Isla to the idea of the potty so I came home and ordered one off Amazon yesterday. Wouldn't ya know it, they make ducky potties(!!!!), which of course, I ordered. :) We aren't going to do any full-fledged training but just start getting her used to sitting on it.

Graham wanted to be sure I asked if Isla was on track with her vocabulary. Our doctor confirmed that she continues to be WAY ahead of the game on that front.

Lastly, Isla is graduating from her daily liquid vitamin D drop to 1/2 a Flintstones Complete vitamin so that she'll also get the iron she needs. Hopefully she can manage without front teeth....

No comments:

Post a Comment