Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday Nights

Over the course of our marriage, I have developed a great dislike for Fridays. Weird, I know. Most people love 'em and trust me, I used to! It's just that Graham has worked every single Friday since the day we got married (which is 4 years minus 13 days by the way). "Yeah, yeah, yeah" is I'm sure what most of you are thinking "I work every Friday too." Well, sure, but you probably don't work an 12 hour shift and get home at 8 PM, do you?

So basically, for 4 years, we did almost nothing on Friday nights. Who wants to host a dinner if your guests can't arrive before 8:30 PM? Pre-Isla, I could at least go do something on my own whether it be dinner with a friend or shopping. But now 6:30 PM bedtimes and me being the sole parent "on duty" gets in the way of such excursions.

Anyway, I promise there is redeeming value to this post. I finally decided that I needed to DO SOMETHING about my Friday night dread and create some sort of fun that I/we could look forward to so that it could indeed feel somewhat like a weekend night. And so was born pizza and a movie Friday nights (original I know!) It started off with my making homemade pizza every week but then we've had a couple nights where we picked up pizza as a special treat. We limit our movie options to whatever is available in the Redbox up the road (we're on a budget people!) and alternate who gets to pick the movie each week. This week Graham requested homemade Pad Thai for our meal so I'm wondering if we should change the title of the event to Takeout and a Movie so that we aren't strictly limited to pizza (maybe he didn't like my pizza???) Anyway, we aren't exclusive so if ever you feel like takeout-type foods and a movie, come on over! Showtime's at 8:15 PM!

1 comment: