Friday, April 13, 2012

Easter 2012

I'm still figuring out what I want Easter to look like for our little family. I wrestled a bit this year, attempting to reconcile the secular (bunnies and eggs and hunts and candy) with the scriptural, Jesus' resurrection, the true reason we celebrate Easter. How we as a culture became so obsessed with all the sugary fluff is beyond me. I mean, why can't everyone do egg hunts and stuff their faces with chocolate on May Day or something? Why Easter? I long to show my girls the real reason we celebrate this day without letting it become watered down by how the world celebrates. Of course, I have no idea how to do this really and so I sort of pressed "pause" on the thought, and decided my girls were still young enough this year to not know the difference. And so now I've bought myself one more year to make a decision. :)

Does anyone else feel this same disparity? Of course, I don't want to be bah humbug about all the fun activities that kids so look forward to although I will admit I threatened to fill the eggs with "only things that bunnies eat" (i.e. lettuce and carrots) this year. But I didn't. I splurged and told my mom we could do raisins and Cheerios and goldfish crackers. :)  Anyway, if you have any brilliant suggestions on how to celebrate, I'm open to hearing them!

All this being said, we had a wonderful day together this year with family, basking in the sun and celebrating together. I'll let the pictures tell the rest!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. We don't do Easter gifts but my husbands mom does an egg hunt for all the grand kids. I just go over what the bible says about why we are celebrating a lot and this year we added The Lion of Judah movie. Peyton even made up a song (short lyrics to follow) it's not about the bunnies, it's about God's love, dying on the cross for our sins.

    ReplyDelete