Sunday, August 9, 2009

Birthday Tubing Trip

Yesterday we took a day trip over to Lake Wenatchee and Leavenworth for some river tubing adventures and birthday fun with my family. Last year, Graham and I took my "little" brother Ben and the tubing guy told us the activity was great for people of all ages (and sizes), including pregnant woman. I made a mental note (even though I was NOT pregnant the last time we went) and decided I would go again when I was pregnant (since there are so many things you're NOT supposed to do, it's nice to have something you CAN do). I couldn't have planned the pregnancy better--right during the heat of the summer! Although we didn't have 100 degree weather, it was still warm and sunny and comfortable for our float. We had a great time--the only downer was that Graham either got stung by a bee or bitten by a horse fly. Whatever the beast, it left a hole in his swollen arm. He's never been stung before so of course I started freaking out that he'd be allergic and so immediately went to interigating him with questions on what we should do if this was the case (I wanted to be sure to get all my questions answered before he passed out!!). He was off floating on his own at this point and of course played it up to the max, telling the rest of us that his whole arm was swelling up, that he was having trouble breathing and then he started seizing in his tube. The stinker! Of course he was fine--it was just a flesh wound--but oh how he loves to fake choke, hold his breath so I think he's quit breathing etc just to get me riled up....


After our float, we went to Leavenworth for a family dinner in late celebration of the July birthdays (Graham's, my mom's and my brother-in-law Michael's) and early celebration of my birthday. We had yummy German food and then hung out in a park, throwing a frisbee and listening to polka music.

The Birthday People (with our candles)Dad
Ben
Mom

Lani and Michael I have a birthday surprise in there!

My family was super generous for my birthday and gave me a number of fabulous gift certificates for after the baby arrives. Thinking ahead, I know that finances are going to be tight and date nights out are going to have to be pretty intentional so I REALLY appreciate their supporting these special treats for us. Lani and Michael gave me a gift certificate for a post-baby massage with free babysitting included. Josh and Ben gave Graham and I a certificate for a movie and drinks at the Big Picture Theater. My parents gave me a certificate for a dinner date out with Graham at a restaurant of my choice (which will more than likely will be The Barking Frog in Woodinville or Cafe Juanta in Kirkland). Free babysitting was also included with their gift. :o) I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment