Monday, April 11, 2011

Heightist

It has come to my attention that the Gap is heightist. You know heightist. Sort of like being sexist or racist but rather being prejudiced about a woman's height. And so I called them out on it yesterday. You see, after a month-long ordeal of unsuccessful maternity pants shopping, I finally gave in and ordered 2 pairs from the Gap.com, sight unseen, as my lower half was desperate to be clothed. I just couldn't find any size long jeans in stores. Remember how I said in a prior post "Thank goodness for free shipping if they don't work!" Well, I almost ate my words.

The jeans arrived in the mail on Saturday and so I tried them on. One pair fit like a glove (hooray!) and the other made me look like a ragamuffin housewife in her worst pair of chore jeans. Needless to say, the 2nd pair needed to go back. I was printing off what I thought was my "free" return shipping label when I saw the fine print that $6 would be deducted from my account. WHAT?! This was most unfortunate.

So I called customer service to clarify. The kind lady on the line informed me that if I were doing an exchange, return shipping would be free but since I wanted to do an actual return, I'd have to pay the postage. And no, the pants could not be returned store. Of course this frustrated me a wee bit. She finished answering my questions and then sweetly asked if there was anything else she could do for me. I hesitated for only a moment and then decided to tell her exactly what I was thinking.

"Well, not unless you have the power to waive the shipping. You see, I find it a bit frustrating that everyone else can shop in-store and make their returns in-store but then I get penalized because I'm tall. I have to order pants without even trying them on since you don't carry longs in store and then I have to PAY to return them when they don't fit (and undoubtedly there are a lot of miss-fits as jeans are nearly impossible to shop for even when NOT pregnant). It just seems a bit unfair that I have to do this just because I'm tall."

Folks, I'm happy to report that the shipping fee was waived instantly!!!!

3 comments:

  1. This might just be my most favorite blog post you have ever written. I was cheering for you all the way through!! I have SOOO been there (probably more than anyone else you know) and had the negative result with the GAP maternity jeans as well...I will never do it again. That's weird you couldn't return them in store, because that's all I had to do when the ones I bought in the mail didn't fit. Way to go, Kelsie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to stand up for yourself and get free shipping!.
    However, I must say that there is a prejudice against short legged people too. I am yet to find a pair of maternity pants that aren't too long for me! Acrtually, I did. They were "short length" and hit me just at my ankles. No thank you.
    I blame the "average" people.

    ReplyDelete