Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pensacola - Day 4

The events of this day take little narration. Basically the day went down like this: wake up, eat breakfast at hotel, hit the beach, go to pool, back to room for lunch (consisting of "borrowed" breakfast items from hotel buffet--bagels and cream cheese, fruit), nap for Isla, studying in room for Graham, workout and brief pool time for me, back to beach. Whew, exhausting, huh?

The pool at our hotel had a gradually sloping entrance that was perfect for Isla. It didn't take long before she figured out how to walk/balance in the water and she could get in and out as she pleased. She loved the pool toys: noodles and "boats" (body boards). The hotel even gave her a rubber mama turtle with 2 babies that provided great entertainment.
 I love this series of photos, a good old "photo story" from my 4-H days:

 "Awwwck! Sand! I can't walk on this stuff!" *Whine*
 *Whine, whine* "Carry!"
 "Fine, if you're not gonna carry me, I'll just squat here. That'll teach ya."
"Much better. Now we're talking!"
After playing all day, we returned to our room to get ready for the rehearsal dinner for my dear friend Sarah's wedding. Since this was a destination wedding, all the guests were invited. The dinner was a catered affair, held in the open air covered area beneath the enormous house the groom's family had rented (hard to explain but all the beach houses around here were built on tall stilts, creating an open-air lower story beneath the actual house). The groom's family was from Atlanta so we got to meet lots of guests from the South. Oh I just love southern hospitality! It really made me miss living in Texas. And everyone just LOVED Isla. Insert strong southern drawl here: "Oh we're just tickled pink that ya'll could be here!" "Oh, isn't she just the cutest thang?" We met a lady name Sugar (truly!) and I'm still wiping my brow with relief that I bit my tongue and didn't ask her what her real name was. I totally thought she was kidding when she introduced herself!

The rehearsal dinner felt like a wedding reception, complete with a dinner buffet, toasts and deliciously rich chocolate groom's cake. It was great to see Sarah and to meet her man, James. I think they are perfect for each other. :) Graham told me later that "Sometimes I forget you're a girl." What? He explained that it was really good to see my giddy and joyous reunion with Sarah (apparently there was some shrieking involved). Gosh, I must need to lighten up and throw some feminine giddy glee into our home. But really, it was so good to see Sarah. She has had such an amazing influence on my (and our) lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment