Monday, July 25, 2011

Bittersweet Farewell

Tonight we parted with our "family car" of 4 years, our Volkswagon Jetta. I've had mixed emotions over the past few weeks as we prepared for this day. For some reason I just felt an absolute need to capture a few shots of Isla in front of "her" first car. I don't know if she will have any recollection of it but parents took pictures of me in one of my first cars and seeing the photos jogs various memories. I want her to have the chance to do the same. It was, after all, the car we took her home from the hospital in, the car she endearingly referred to as "Mommy's Car."
It's been quite the week! I'm not at liberty to share details but a few unexpected happenings occurred which absorbed a lot of our time and will soon absorb a good chunk of our money (in the form of medical bills). And then, in the midst of all this, we've been trying to sell the car to offset the higher-than-planned price tag of our new van. Of course, just prior to listing the Jetta, we'd taken it to the car doctor to get it all spiffy and ready for sale. We've had trouble with the engine light going on and off over the past few years and we wanted it OFF so we could attract buyers. $900 later, the engine light was finally off, only to pop back on on Saturday. We were both feeling super discouraged and just wanted it all to be over. Another trip to the shop would likely set us back another grand and, at this pace, if we kept it up, the car would basically be totaled in no time.

My father-in-law took it into the shop for us today and got the mechanic to turn off the engine light (for free--the car really does work fine, it just has quirky computer wiring) and then THANKFULLY, a buyer surfaced and bought the car in cash tonight. Did I mention he paid the exact amount we were hoping to get out of the deal? And just like that, it's all done!

As crazy as this week has been, I'm happy to report that our To-Do-Before-Baby list is rapidly shrinking. The huge items like:

-buy a car
-sell Jetta
-buy a crib
-sew bedding
-buy a double stroller

are being replaced with more doable items like:

-buy purell
-put up shelf in nursery
-boil binkies
-check medicine cabinet to make sure we have Ibuprofen

I've been feeling totally maxed out and so my in laws stepped up to "babysit" our car since we had no place to park a third vehicle and my father-in-law helped field calls from potential buyers so I wouldn't have to. I am feeling incredibly thankful for the Lord's provision tonight!

And to our former Teal Jetta, you will be missed...at least a tiny bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment