Thursday, July 28, 2011

Garden Bounty

Despite the lack of consistent sunshine, my garden is becoming quite fruitful! Last night we enjoyed a salad of homegrown butter lettuce with these beautiful golden beets (roasted). They were so delicious that today I moved my rhubarb from a pot into the ground to free up some more space for another batch of beets. I also planted some romaine and arugula which I'm hoping will keep us well-supplied in August and September. My hanging tomato plants are going nuts and Isla has been eating the little yellow cherry ones like candy. I managed to enjoy one before she got to it and I think I hit the jackpot--this variety is awesome! I have a giant zucchini ready to harvest and a few more right behind it. I've pick enough strawberries to accent a bowl of cereal but I certainly don't think I'll have them in overabundance. My pots of thyme, rosemary and sage are thriving as are my recently transplanted basil and chive plants. The oregano I planted a couple years ago is spreading like crazy which I guess means I need to make some tomato sauce! Oh what fun gardening can be when things actually grow!!

1 comment:

  1. perhaps you really don't want to have a lot of sunshine for your garden, if its thriving this much! How fun!!

    ReplyDelete