Friday, July 29, 2011

Raspberries!

Last week, Graham and Isla and I went on a raspberry picking date. Initially I intended it to be an outing with fellow moms to pick strawberries but when no one was able to join us, Graham volunteered to come along. And as it turned out, it was opening day for raspberries at Remlinger and the strawberries were in sorry shape so we quickly changed plans.
An hour or so later, we were lugging 20 pounds of red berries off to the car. Graham kept telling me "I think we have enough" but I ignored him and kept picking. Over the past week we have stuffed our faces with raspberries--on cereal, in pancakes and with yogurt--and I have 3 gallon size ziplocks of frozen berries that should last me at least until September...if I'm lucky. I also spent about a half hour picking over the sorry strawberries fields in hopes of getting at least 2 cups so I could make a fresh batch of freezer jam. I was successful in the end but the berries were tiny so it took forever.
We brought along Isla's bucket, hoping she might pick at least a couple berries. She stayed very focused in one spot for a long time and I figured she was busy stuffing her face. But when I went to check on her, I realized her bucket was filled to overflowing!!! Graham even admitted she was a better picker than he.
Now I'm anxious to hit up the blueberry fields maybe next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment