Thursday, December 8, 2011

Couch to 5K

People always told me it was a lot harder to lose the weight after baby #2 but I just figured those people weren't exercising. Well, they were right. It is much harder. I am now three months out and have about 5 more pounds (on a good day!) to go before I hit my pre-pregnancy weight. Ladies, please don't pounce. I am well aware that this is quite good all things considered in the grand scheme of things. But let me assure you it has taken a LOT of time, dedication and determination.

The first 23 pounds came off with no effort but then the scale stopped dropping (BOOO!!) I have had to work SO HARD to get the next 10 pounds off (read: 10 weeks of running every other day pushing what I calculated to be 80 pounds of stroller, carseat and children). Having a beach vacation to Mexico on the books has been a great motivator! But I DID IT! I'm officially trained for my very first 5K race on Saturday which I'll be running in Bellingham with my mom!

In addition to running with my mom, I've also started running with a good friend (running with others is something I've always been so scared to do). Why I waited so long to run with anybody I don't know. It is so much more fun to have company along!! Not to mention I go a lot further. The other day I was running with my friend and we accidentally ran 5 miles. We were having such a good time talking that neither of us realized how far we'd gone. Who does that!? She's convinced me to train for a 10K now that I'm so close anyway.

I never thought I'd be a runner but, to my surprise, this time around I actually found myself enjoying the couch to 5K (I guess I said that at one point last time too). But it seems much easier than when I did it post-Isla. Maybe I was somehow in better cardiovascular shape after carrying around a 9 1/2 pound baby????? Or maybe it's just that I have more mental confidence that I actually can do it. I gotta say it also helps a lot that Graham tells me he thinks it hot that I run. He's been very supportive of me and watches the girls on occasion so I can run alone (but then I'm at a total loss because I have no stroller in which to store the keys, my phone, water etc-where am I supposed to put those things?). :)

Here's to hoping I make it across the finish line on Saturday! Oh yeah. And that those stubborn last 5 melt away. Eventually.

2 comments:

  1. I think that is pretty awesome. I still have a LONG way to go....but, that's ok. I started doing the couch to 5k, but switched to power90. After Christmas, I am going to do a cleanse and completely start over with the way I eat and hoping to lose a little baby weight too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you rock! I haven't figured out how to go running with two...so I don't. I'm thinking a double bob is the answer (but then I'd have to get a minivan, right?). :)

    ReplyDelete