Friday, May 2, 2008

Wellness Works!!

Or at least, so I'm told... I have just finished placing ink marks in various locations on my body to measure my arm, thigh, waist and hip circumference. I've taken my blood pressure, calculated my BMI (body mass index for the layman) and will count my resting heart rate when I wake up tomorrow morning.

And why am I doing this you might be asking? My hospital's wellness department (Wellness Works) is kicking off a wellness program where we are asked to choose three health goals for ourselves which we must accomplish in 12 weeks time. Periodically throughout the program, we will have to remeasure ourselves, looking for improvements/changes to keep us on track. I chose to partake in the "Pedometer Challenge" so you can expect to see me walking ever-so-nerd-like, with a pedometer on my hip counting my steps.

I'm hoping this will help me be motivated to exercise more. I love being active but until last week, the gym and I weren't getting along so well. I am finally getting back into it! For those of you who know me well, you know that I don't, nor do I ever plan to run long distances. But when I was at the gym on Wednesday night, I was walking on the treadmill with guys running on both sides. I started feeling like they were one-uping me so I decided "Maybe I'll just run for 5 minutes." So I sped up my treadmill to join their pace. After 5 minutes I thought, "This isn't so bad...I'll go for 10 minutes." And then after 10 minutes I realized I could do double that. I ran for TWENTY MINUTES PEOPLE!!!! Nothing impressive when compared to a seasoned runner, but for me, huge progress! Now whether I'll do it again, I don't know, but for now I'm excited to have some accountability through work to really push myself towards my goals.

I'm awefully comfy on the couch right now....I think I'll start tomorrow. :o)

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Kels. It's easy for me to fall away from exercise but if I go too long, I start to get all antsy. It's hard to start up again but once I get going, I am always surprised at how quickly it all comes back. Good luck with the Wellness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute post! You go, girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just you wait. You start running five minutes, then it turns into twenty. Soon it will be miles: 3, 5, 8.... you never know, there could be a closet marathoner in you! :) That's what happened with me and I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is usually the opposite for me: I start out going for 20 minutes and then think, I think I'll quite at 10. After 5 minutes I usually fall down and the treadmill shoots me off the back...

    ReplyDelete