Monday, March 15, 2010

NNM--Salad

I just tried out this recipe from my "Cooking the Costco Way" cookbook (ha ha, I know...seems like a joke but I guess Costco makes their own cookbook). I tweaked the recipe a bit to cut back on the fat and have made it twice in two weeks and both times have been asked for the recipe. I think that means we found a winner! Key ingredient: AVOCADO.

I think we all have heard that avocados are "heart healthy," stemming from their high content of monounsaturated fat which is believed to help lower cholesterol (both total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, the "bad" form). Not only are they a healthy source of fat, they also contain potassium (more than is found in a medium banana), folate, lutein, vitamin E and fiber. Avocados work as a great substitute for mayo when mashed and spread on a sandwich. Enjoy!

Pear and Spinach Bistro Salad

SALAD:

1 (10 oz) bag of spinach
2 large pears (I used D'anjou but recipe calls for barlett or bosc), cored and sliced
1 avocado, peeled and diced
3-4 bacon slices, cooked crisp and crumbled
1/2 cup pine nuts (or other nuts), toasted
1/2 cup craisins

DRESSING:
1/3 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp salt

1. Combine all salad ingredients together in a bowl.
2. To make dressing, combine ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until blended.
3. Drizzle dressing over salad just before serving and toss to coat.

1 comment: