Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Coming Home!

Jack was born on Sunday just after 3 PM and we were discharged home on Monday just after 3 PM. This was a record for us as we had to stay extra days due to minor complications following the births of both of our girls. But I suppose if you count all out trips to triage this go around, we technically might have clocked the same number of hospital hours... :) Jack proved to be quite the superstar, nursing great within minutes of life and continuing to do so around the clock. He didn't have any blood sugar or temperature or breathing issues -hallelujah- and basically was the picture of health! In fact, I believe the pediatrician who came to see him and clear him for discharge might just have said "He's perfect." We sure think so!
Above is our first attempt at a family picture. And I thought getting a good picture of two always-on-the-move girls was hard...I think from now on, we'll always just claim the "candid" style as our own as I'm sure we will never have one with all five of us looking. 
Both Isla and Emma took a fast liking to their baby brother. I can already tell he's going to be attention-deprived in our house.
Back when we were pregnant with Isla, we purchased going home outfits for both and boy and a girl. If she had been a boy, we were going to name her Noah, so the boy outfit became affectionately known as the "Noah and the Whale" clothes. 
I boxed them up after Isla was born and then pulled them out again to bring to the hospital when we were pregnant with Emma. Then when Graham's brother had a boy shortly thereafter, I almost gave the outfit to them, figuring someone should get some use out of it! But something in me held back and I once again boxed it up "in case." We were thrilled to finally put some wear on this now nearly five-year-old orange-striped top and whale overalls. It wasn't entirely seasonal but you gotta do what you gotta do!
Graham and Jack were rearing to go home from the hospital. Mommy wasn't so sure. With their made-to-order meals (and individual Ben and Jerry's ice cream servings!) and daily room cleaning, the hospital felt pretty hard to beat!
Honestly, I never knew how much I wanted a boy until I met Jack. I can't get enough!
Heading out! (Graham ever-so-briefly made the photo on the below right his Facebook profile picture because, let's be honest, it's a really nice shot of him. But people noticed the background more than the foreground and so he quickly chose a different one. I PROMISE I wasn't struggling with the bags as much as it appears!! It's just that dang carport pool that is so inconveniently placed....)
Our traditional coming home photo!! Three of us are looking this time...progress!
I shouldn't have worried about coming home from the "luxurious" services at the hospital. My mom was at home with the girls waiting for us and she and Graham did an incredible job caring for and feeding me and cleaning my house all week. Such a gift! 

1 comment:

  1. I totally thought the same thing about Graham's temporary profile picture, with you in here to background. Ha! Funny that it was short lived. Love all the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete