Monday, September 8, 2008

Running

Months back, I wrote a post about the Wellness Challenge that I'm a participant in at work. Well, we're now on challenge # 2 so I've basically spent the ENTIRE summer wearing a pedometer (quite the fashion statement! In fact, I'm sure Graham would not find my outside incomplete without the plastic lump on my right hip.) Anyway, I completed the first 12 weeks of walking 10,000 steps a day and was quite impressed by the results I saw. I'll admit that I thought twice about joining the repeat program, but because I was seeing so much progress, I signed up for a 2nd twelve weeks of walking. We just finished week 4 and I'm doing quite well. In fact, I've been talking to my mom and she's been mentioning that she's turned her routine AM walk into more of a walk/run sort of deal. AND, to make matters worse, my sister and brother-in-law have decided to train for a 5 K (and they NEVER ran before). So, not to be outdone by my mom and sister (and because Graham thinks I can't run), I decided I'd better hit the trail and see what I could do. So on Saturday, after walking 2 1/2ish miles, I decided to start running. Two miles later (without stopping), I was quite proud and realized I probably could run a 5 K right now if I really felt like it. Shock of all shocks! I know that 2 miles is pretty minimal, but the best part about it is that I could have kept going!

No comments:

Post a Comment