Sunday, August 24, 2014

Lunch

I just love the way this girl is wired. Maybe it's because she takes after me. A week from Wednesday will be a day for the history books - she is starting kindergarten! It's been a bit of a process, enrolling her and all. That's because we've actually done it twice.
 
Back in the spring, we flip flopped between opting for half day program or paying for full day at Helen Keller Elementary in Kirkland. When her bedtime prayers started going something like this "Please God, let me get in half day kindergarten," we really had no argument. Then she started laying it on really thick when she started telling us that she wanted half day so she "could spend more time with our family." Uh yeah. What 4-year-old says things like that?
 
I am an indecisive person at times so having her *cough* assistance in this decision-making matter was helpful. We felt really good about our plan and so life continued. After the quick sale of our condo and move over to my in-laws in Seattle, we weren't quite sure what her school future would look like. The fact of the matter is that we were quite hopeful we would close on a new home in time to start her in the corresponding school. But when mid-August came and went, it became apparent this was not going to be the case and so I registered her for the elementary school assigned to my in-law's neighborhood.
 
Seattle Schools operate a bit different than those in Kirkland and so our choice became less clear cut. Most all kids, with the exception of literally a couple, at least at Isla's school, do full day. But Isla was still pretty insistent that her half day plan carry over to Seattle. That is until she began considering how this might impact her lunch time dreams. This was something she had neglected to consider before. Alas, would she get to break in a shiny new lunch box should she go with her original half day plan? She asked me this very thing one afternoon and I told her she would probably leave before lunch if she did half day.
 
I literally watched her input this information and then observed as her brain processed it and her tune did a complete 180. "Mom!" she said. "I changed my mind and I want to do full day."
 
Bringing this full circle to the start of this post, she and I are wired so similarly. There's next to nothing we wouldn't give for a great meal. And apparently lunch at school is where it's at. You gotta love kids and their priorities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment