Saturday, August 23, 2014

One giant exhale

 Folks, it's probably no surprise that I'm tired. I over heard someone comment recently what a wonderful summer it's been and instead of agreeing, I panicked. Ack! This summer, my last summer before I send my eldest off to kindergarten, is coming to a close and here I am feeling like it hasn't even started. I guess that's what happens when one spends most weekends and days off running around town touring houses.
This past week was particularly full with my working 2 days, helping throw a party for 6 members of the extended family, doing all the preparations for the aforementioned start of kindergarten, oh and planning and shopping for two very special little girls' upcoming birthdays (*side note: if ever I decide to have more children, please talk to me about family planning so they DON'T have birthdays in the same week!!)
 When I have busy weeks like this, suddenly I am overcome with a very strong desire to burrow and disappear and reappear when it's all over. Some might say it's the introvert in me (other might argue I need to work on my coping skills!) Whatever the case, I didn't quite realize how much I needed a change of pace for a few days until it more or less fell into my lap.
A few weeks back, a sweet friend offered us her home in Kirkland while they are away on vacation. At first I nearly declined as we have wonderful, gracious hosts who have been an amazing support for our family during this time of transition (really, I couldn't ask for better family!!!) But on a whim we said yes to house sitting, if only to temporarily reduce Graham's commute to work and the drive time to all these houses we're touring on the eastside.
I never really thought about what an incredibly vulnerable thing it is to let someone else stay in your home. They see the nooks and crannies, opening cupboards and pantries, viewing what you ordinarily keep behind closed doors to visitors. I am humbled to be invited to "do life" in the space of another this week and hope to pass on the blessing in return someday. As my post title eludes, this time back in our old stomping grounds has been incredibly restful and refreshing for our family.
Today I intentionally planned nothing other than exercise and play together. After making banana pancakes (just like the song!), I went on the most amazing 5.5 mile run with my very-much-missed running buddy Olona. When we run together, I hardly even notice that I'm exercising (which is how it should be in my opinion!) because of our wonderful conversations. I came back so enthused and told Graham I'd pay big money to get to run with her regularly again. And, would you believe it, I'm pretty sure he's on board with that plan after seeing how our run set the mood for the rest of the day.  
We spent midday at our favorite beach and then came back to the house for naps, reading and playing in the yard. We made homemade pizza for dinner and then roasted s'mores in the fire pit. The day seriously felt like a dream.
 No obligations, nowhere to rush off to, just good quality, slow-paced time together as a family. 
 I'm going to bed tonight with a heart near bursting, so very grateful for this unexpected gift of a day during a stressful and exhausting season.

No comments:

Post a Comment