Friday, August 15, 2014

Wilson Family Camping Vacation

Back in the day, we used to vacation together in Mexico but times have changed a smidge (read: there are a LOT more of us) and so now our trips have morphed into extended camping adventures, which is practically the same thing. ;) This year was our second annual 5 night camping trip with my family (though I've somehow managed to never make it to the full 5 nights but that's beside the point...) and, after a last minute change of location due to a fires burning our original plan (literally), we settled on Twin Harbors State Park. Oh my word I'd nearly forgotten how much I love the coast! This beach in particular is awesome with soft, fine sand and the tall grass is to die for. I mean, when you closed your eyes and imagined yourself 20 degrees warmer, it was exactly like Mexico, minus the vendors selling jewelry.
 In all seriousness though, I LOVED IT HERE. The park is just a short drive away from the fishing town of Westport, where we ventured on a couple of occasions for fishing and crabbing and ice cream eating.
 Dad caught a crab, but not in the most traditional fashion... 
 It just so happened that our trip fell over my 30th birthday so I requested breakfast out to celebrate and then we dinked around some more in Westport.
 My sister and I called each other and bore these 5 cousins, one each year, over the span of 5 years and 49 days to be exact. We successfully prevented my parents from taking their long-desired late-summer Italy trip for 4 straight years... They finally got smart and requested NO BABIES IN SEPTEMBER OF 2013!! We obliged and Jack was born on October 13th, 2013. :)
 My kids know how to kick it on the beach... 
 Though a lot of these pictures capture our in-town adventures (when I opted to pack my camera), we spent a good chunk of time on the beach (where I chose not to pack my camera).
 Seriously awesome!
  Most unfortunately, I was ill the entire trip. What started as a bad sore throat soon morphed into a full-fledged awful head cold that made for many joyous nights and lots of naps during the days. I felt extra old as I rang in my 30th year with pounding sinus'. Graham says I get another birthday when I'm feeling better... 
 My birthday dinner request was for fresh crab and Michael pulled through and caught enough to feed us all! None of us brought crab cracking tools so the boys used "natural" things like sticks and rocks.
 It may feel as though this post is ending rather abruptly and that's probably because our trip did too. The forecast for our last day and night was for rain and thunder showers and some of us weren't too excited about sitting under tarps all day and re-setting up wet tents when we arrived home. When the thunder started booming during breakfast on day 5, we scrambled to pack up our tents and made it just before the sky started dumping. We may seem like fair-weather fans and maybe we are, but I was sick and exhausted and though it was a real bummer to cut our vacation short, I was ready to get home and rest. And it's a good thing we did too because our eldest up and puked on the drive home. I was SO GLAD to be home with a clean, dry, non-puke-filled tent!!!!
 
The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment