Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Thankful - Day 20: Daughter Date

Today I got to spend some good quality time alone with the eldest. Our relationship has been a bit rocky since Jack's arrival and so I knew some one on one time was needed pronto! And what girl doesn't love a good high tea? I took her to my local favorite, Elizabeth and Alexander's in Bothell Country Village. We enjoyed watching the chickens and rooster that were sitting in the bush outside our window when we arrived. Isla named them (one was Laura) and then we turned our attention to the workmen outside repairing the telephone pole. This sparked a conversation about heights and then fears and I learned my daughter is afraid of husky dogs which she told me without a moments hesitation. She is also apparently afraid of "unkind cats." Then we changed gears to the positives and she shared she is excited for me to turn 30 because then I can be more like dad. I asked her what dad did that she wanted me to do and she said "run." Wait, I'm confused. All this time I thought I was the one running. Anyway, even though the rest of our day was pretty much a total disaster, I'm grateful for the chance to spend some focused, face-to-face time with my firstborn. Lately I feel like there just isn't enough of me to go around so I'm hopeful that our little date today communicated that, despite the craziness and chaos that is our current day-to-day, she is still important to me and I love her so.

No comments:

Post a Comment